Calgary, AB (April 6, 2021) – NOVA Chemicals Corporation (“NOVA Chemicals”) has introduced its first three grades of 100% post-consumer polyethylene resins. The post-consumer resin (PCR) grades each come from a dedicated source and are ideal for a range of flexible film applications:
- Natural linear low/low density polyethylene PCR (rLLDPE/LDPE) is collected from distribution centers and is suited for collation shrink, stretch wrap and e-commerce applications.
- Natural rLLDPE/LDPE, a recycled agricultural film that is ideal for re-use in agricultural films, heavy-duty shipping sacks, collation shrink, and for e-commerce applications.
- White rLLDPE PCR manufactured from closed-loop agricultural and irrigation film recyclate, this resin is for use in agricultural film, heavy-duty shipping sacks, collation shrink, trash bags and liners and e-commerce applications.
Greg DeKunder, vice president, polyethylene marketing, NOVA Chemicals, said the company’s new product offerings are backed by industry-leading technical support, designed to help film producers, converters and brand owners incorporate more PCR into packaging applications without sacrificing performance. “We have a dedicated team with extensive applications and additive expertise helping customers accelerate their applications development work,” he explained. “Our goal is for NOVA Chemicals to be a one-stop resource, providing the products and technical resources companies need to achieve their sustainability goals.”
Many of the world’s leading consumer brands have pledged to increase the amount of PCR content in plastic packaging to an average of 25 percent by 2025. Anna Rajkovic, circular economy market manager, NOVA Chemicals, said the introduction of these products will help brands meet their goals. “We’ve made remarkable progress in just the past few months,” she explained. “We’re continuing to expand our PCR business and collaborate throughout the value chain to help the industry meet its sustainability commitments and advance the plastics circular economy.”
NOVA Chemicals recently announced two supply agreements with recyclers:
- Merlin Plastics will supply NOVA Chemicals with FDA-LNO (letter of non-objection) high density polyethylene PCR available for use in consumer packaging, including food. Read the press release.
- Revolution is supplying NOVA Chemicals with LLDPE/LDPE PCR for use in a range of packaging applications. Read the press release.
These three resins are the first of a broad portfolio of PCR grades that NOVA Chemicals is bringing to market to help brand owners and converters meet their packaging sustainability goals.
About NOVA Chemicals Corporation
NOVA Chemicals develops and manufactures chemicals and plastic resins that make everyday life healthier, easier and safer. Our employees work to ensure health, safety, security and environmental stewardship through our commitment to Sustainability and Responsible Care®. NOVA Chemicals, headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is wholly owned ultimately by Mubadala Investment Company of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The NOVA Chemicals polyethylene business enables its customers’ success with a portfolio of more than 125 specialized SURPASS®, SCLAIR® and NOVAPOL® resins. Each new NOVA Chemicals resin is developed to meet customer requirements, from drop-in consistency to step-out performance attributes. Our customer-centric approach drives our business.
Visit NOVA Chemicals on the Internet at novachem.com.
NOVA Chemicals Media Contact
Marketing Communications and Trade PR Manager
The NOVA Chemicals logo and NOVAPOL are registered trademarks of NOVA Brands Ltd.; authorized use/utilisation autorisée. SURPASS and SCLAIR are registered trademarks of NOVA Chemicals Corporation in Canada and of NOVA Chemicals (International) S.A. elsewhere; authorized use/utilisation autorisée. Advanced SCLAIRTECH is a trademark of NOVA Chemicals.
Responsible Care is a registered trademark of the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada.